Skip to content

Category: english

Super Maria Sis.

In this pixel art rendition I replaced the the characters of Super Mario Bros. for female characters becoming Super Maria Sis. in the tittle.

Mario became Maria just because it’s a single letter change and it works well. Marissa would also have worked.

Luigi became Ligia. Other candidates were Lucia and Luiza. In Italian the feminine name for Luigi is Luigina. Luigi is one of the many Italian forms for the german name Ludwig, which in French becomes Louis. So Luise would have been another candidate. In Portuguese Luís, Luis, or Luiz and their feminine version Luisa, Luíza. I choose Ligia because of the “G” sound.

It’s possible to create a patch over the original NES game to make this art become a real game. There is a lot of examples on how to do that on this article from Female-Characters NES ROM hacks.

Longboard

Slendor. 42 inch (106.68 cm) long, 9 inches (22.86 cm). 7 inches (17.78 cm) aluminum trucks. 9 layers cold-pressed maple deck. Wheels are made of Polyurethane (PU), have a 85A durometer hardness and ABEC-9 bearings, 70mm (2.75 inch)

Python: Getting page title

# Get the HTML page content
from urllib import request
html = request.urlopen("https://silveiraneto.net").read()

# Get the title tag
from bs4 import BeautifulSoup
title = BeautifulSoup(html, 'html.parser').find('title')

print(title.string)

This uses the XML/HTML library BeautifulSoup . This could also be done using regex but playing with HTML and regex is usually a bad idea.

Mortal Kombat Arcade Cabinet from Arcade1UP – Part 4: Sound and lights

Check out the all parts of the Mortal Kombat Arcade Cabinet from Arcade1UP serie:

Sound

The great ETA PRIME’s ‪Arcade1UP Raspberry Pi Install Tutorial – RetroPie in an Arcade1UP video tutorial uses an amplifier and speakers. That’s a great solution and probably what you need. As I said before a lot of the decisions I’ve made were based of things I already had around at home.

For instance, I had an Cyber Acoustics CA-3602FFP 2.1 Speaker Sound System with Subwoofer and Control Pod around without use after I upgraded some equipment100. I’m not going to disagree with anyone who says this is a total overkill for this project. This has a lot of power and a subwoofer. It greatly exceeds the sound needs for old arcades games. However, it was literally accumulating dust in a corner.

Cyber Acoustics CA-3602FFP 2.1 Speaker Sound System with Subwoofer and Control Pod

This thing also have this little control pod that is just perfect for this project. It controls the volume using a knob. I absolutely love control knobs. I could write a whole post about knobs. It has a round blue led which goes well with the whole arcade theme. On top of all that, the control pod also has a control for bass, an on/off switch, an auxiliary input and a phone output.

Volume control

Because the wires fit in the gap between the panels no drilling was necessary. Inside the cabinet I just put the subwoofer an the two speakers. I used a double-sided mounting tape to put it in place.

The little blue circle light.

For the sound input I used the sound output from the control board. That is already converting the HDMI sound output. Another solution would be to plug it directly into the Raspberry PI and configure it to output the sound there instead of sending it via HDMI.

Control board to speakers

Lights

The last thing I added was just some LED strip lights in the back of the machine. It’s just some led multicolor strip lights that I bough a while ago for around 5 bucks. I just let it set to red because it goes well with the vinyl strip it came with.

Really ties the room together.

That’s probably the simplest and cheapest of all the modifications but really adds some ambiance around the cabinet.

Because the lights and everything else are in the same power strip that is behind the same Amazon Smart Plug when I say “alexa turn the arcade on” everything lights up with a lot of colors.

Conclusion

This has been a long and fun project. I have been incrementallychanging parts and adding modifications. It’s slow and it’s not a single weekend project. It’s good to spend time on each iteration and getting a felling of what needs to be improved. There is still some room for a few more lights and maybe a beer holder. Other than that the next changes should be on software.